Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Neighbor Reports Stranger's Good Deed



The Laurelhurst Blog received this information:


I was a skeptic when I opened the door at my home at 43rd Avenue NE and NE 42nd Street on Sunday, September 4, to find a gentleman standing on my doorstep with his long brown, scraggly hair, poor dentition, soiled nails and worn clothes.   
He was carrying a white binder for a Seattle “Mission” that was collecting donations.  He initially apologized, noting that he was not supposed to be ringing my doorbell, as this was his friends/colleagues“territory".   
I sighed, knowing I was about to hear his pitch, when he suddenly pulled out my wallet, noting that he “was walking by the house and found it in the driveway." A few minutes earlier, I had carried a huge armload of boxes and papers from my driveway to my front door and my wallet must of slipped out of my hands.   
He then took a step back, said “God Bless you ma’am” and turned to walk away. I quickly glanced in my wallet and found that my checkbook, $10 cash, credit cards, etc. were all there.   
His act of kindness and honesty was certainly worth the $10 I had in my wallet.  He declined the donation, but I insisted.   
A good deed, by a man who I regretfully assumed was “up to no good”.

No comments: