The Friends of Yesler Swamp, located in Laurelhurst, has published a variety of posts regarding the history of Yesler Swamp, including history of the area from settlement, sawmill, town of Yesler, historic photos, videos, source notes and more.
The website says:
Most people know that Henry Yesler once ran a mill in downtown Seattle at the foot of what we now call Yesler way. But what does Yesler Swamp have to do with the famous Seattle pioneer? Find out the answer to this and lots more.
Here is one of the excerpts from their Blog about the town of Yesler in Laurelhurst, which originally provided housing for the saw mill workers which was a thriving community.
THE TOWN OF YESLER SURVIVESIn 1888, Yesler platted the Town of Yesler to provide housing for the mill workers. The town was laid out to the north of the mill and to the northwest of Yesler Swamp. The town extended from its south border on Front Street (now NE 41st Street) to Wilkes Street on the west (now approximately the western border of Talaris) and north to Railroad Street (now NE 45th Street).
Homes were built, and the Town of Yesler became a thriving community. Some of the original houses are still standing.
The Town of Yesler post office opened in 1890 with Theron W. Peck as the first postmaster. Peck distributed the mail for sawmill workers from a boarding house that he ran. One lot in the Town of Yesler was also set aside in 1891 for a church.
In 1892, Yesler School District No. 77 opened a one room schoolhouse for the children in the Town of Yesler. Children from Laurelhurst also attended Yesler School, which they reached by walking west across Yesler Creek.
In 1910, Seattle incorporated the Town of Yesler as part of the city. Henry Yesler died before the town became a thriving community, but his legacy survives in the neighborhood still designated as the “Town of Yesler Addition.”