Thursday, December 22, 2011

Five Laurelhurst Residents Perfoming In The Nutcracker

Eleanor pictured in green at left




We have learned that five girls from Laurelhurst are currently performing in the Nutcracker  at McCaw Hall. Two attend Laurelhurst Elementary, one is at Seattle Prep, and the other two are at Hamlin Robinson and UCDS.

One of the dancers, Eleanor Pearson, who is a student at Villa Academy,  sent us her interesting account of performing in the Nutcracker:

This year, I am so excited because I am in PNB's production of 'The Nutcracker' again.  I have loved every minute of the audition, the rehearsals and the performances. 

I am cast as one of the two teenagers this year - we are Clara's friends in the Party Scene, and we dance with her as well as with the other party guests.  My dress is green, my shoes are green (they have to be specially dyed to match the dress) - and my headpiece is green too.  My hair is in ringlets: I won't let my mom do it of me because she always hurts me when she does it, so some of her friends had to learn how to do it so they can do it instead!  We use loads of really strong hairspray, which keeps the curls in, but makes your hair feel like straw. 

The 'Nutcracker' is a great show for all ages - the scenery, costumes, music and (of course) the dancing are all beautiful.  I guarantee you will love it.  
Eleanor is performing in one of 200 roles danced by students and professionals in the annual show created by Founding Artistic Director Kent Stowell with sets and costumes by internationally famous author/illustrator Maurice Sendak. 

(Photo courtesy of Angela Sterling) 

No comments: