Friday, May 8, 2020

Cooper's Hawk Nest in Laurelhurst Park

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature



A large Cooper’s hawk nest has been spotted in a maple tree in the northwest corner of  Laurelhurst Park.

Larry Hubbell, a long-time local photographer and birder, who publishes regularly on his Union Bay Watch Blog told the Laurelhurst Blog Staff:

Congratulations on Cooper’s Hawks in your neighborhood! Cooper’s Hawks are one of my favorite birds. I do love taking photos of them. 
However, they tend to hunt small birds, rats and squirrels. Many times they hunt close to the ground or in dense undergrowth. While they are incubating eggs the male is challenged to catch twice as much food as normal - since he must supply the female her food as well. 
After hatching he initially supplies food for the female, the young and himself. I have observed a nest a few years ago with four young Cooper’s Hawks. That male was essentially on a never ending hunt for food. Having very many humans near enough to observe their nest site would make the hunting even more difficult. 
For that reason, I will either: 1) Not mention the nesting location or 2) Not publish a post about Cooper’s Hawks, at a specific site, until after the young have fledged. 
In addition, during the Spring I am literally running nest to nest - of all different types of birds. Since there is a nesting pair of Cooper’s Hawks much closer to my home, this Spring I will focus on them, which will save time and allow me to take a greater variety of photos. 
I certainly hope you enjoy watching your Laurelhurst Coops and that all their young are fed successfully, fledge and learn to hunt before winter! My behavior does vary depending on the species. For example, Bald Eagles and Great Blue Herons have high enough nests and they range far and wide when hunting so human observation does not appear to bother them in the least.

No comments: