Thursday, June 13, 2019

Laurelhurst Dialysis Patient Seeking Housing



Charda Hastings has been a long-time Laurelhurst resident, living in a mother-in-law of a later doctor and his wife.

The Laurelhurst Blog has published several stories about Charda and her health status as well as her sick dog, who recently passed.

Charda was born and raised in Ballard and spent most of her childhood caring for her mother, who died in 1989, from kidney disease.  Charda then moved to Salem, Oregon for a job with state of Oregon in human resources doing medical billing.

In 1999 she moved back to Seattle into her mother's doctors apartment in Laurelhurst, when she became very ill, also from kidney disease, at eighteen years old.

Unfortunately Charda's dog, Ginger, also suffered from medical problems, as she was born with a non working thyroid and had to take thyroid medication, just as Charda does.

Charda wrote to the Laurelhurst Blog recently:

Dear Laurelhurst Blog friends and neighbors. 
My name is Charda Hastings.  Henry, and his wife, moved me into their Mil in their home in 1999 when my kidneys started failing. I have lived here ever since. I have been on kidney dialysis for 14 years now.  Both Henry and Lore have died in the last few years.  
My little dog Ginger died March 1st in my arms. She had a grand mall seizure someone gave her insulin while I was at dialysis After she hadn’t eaten for 3 days Prior, she wasn’t supposed to have any insulin until she ate something substantial. I miss Gingeri, Henry and Lore, terribly.  
I am writing because I need help. Henry and Lore promised me a lifelong gift of living right where I am along with a special needs trust fund that protects my disability SSD. 
I have been asked to move out, as the house is slated to be sold.  Unfortunately, Assisted living apartments in Seattle, will only accept people who are age 62 and above and I am just 53. The section 8 housing has nothing to offer me at this time. I have no back up plans of where I could move to and am not able to access my special needs trust.  
If anyone knows of any rentals here in Laurelhurst of any condos, please let me know. I really love living in Laurelhurst with such wonderful people.  Everyone watches out for each other and our animals and everyone is so friendly.The thought of having to leave this wonderful neighborhood I feel so safe in is very sad to me. If I don't find a place, I will be forced to move into low income where I feel I will be unsafe. Unfortunately, there are approximately 10,000 people waiting on low income list. I am one of those people on the list. 
Providence Hospice wrote a story about Charda in 2010, in which Charda said that at that time she had an ejection fraction of 20% and was dying. "My heart is completely normal at this time,"she told us.

Charda, who says she is very trustworthy, can be reached at 206-527-0661 if you have or know of a mother-in-law apartment in Laurelhurst.

No comments: