Tuesday, May 8, 2018

More Car Prowls Reported And SPD Prevention Tips

More car prowls have been reported.  

A car prowl was reported the week of April 4th on 38th Avenue NE, right off of NE Surber Drive.  A neighbor said it was the fifth time her car was broken into and some sort of special took was used to get into the car.  The prowlers trashed the inside of the car but didn't find anything of value.

Another car prowl was reported in the same area. The prowler sat inside the car for about five minutes and rifled around inside and left a door open, without taking anything.

On the week-end of April 28th, a locked car was broken into, by smashing the front passenger window  at the Laurelhurst Community Center, during the day. Nothing was stolen. 

Seattle Police offers these simple ways to lower the chance of having your car broken into:
  • Remove all your valuables.
  • Put your gym bag in the trunk. A bad guy just sees a bag to steal.
  • Before leaving your parked car, always remove the keys, roll up the windows and lock the car.
  • If your car is stored in a carport or parked near your house, leave your exterior lights on throughout the night.
  • If you park your car in a dark or isolated area, consider the City Light Area Lighting Program, which permits additional light fixtures to be placed on existing poles. The cost is less than $5 per month per light. Call (206) 684-3000 for more information.
  • Finally, if you find yourself the victim of a car prowl either call police or report it online.   Without a report we can't track crime and direct patrols into the area to stop emerging crime trends.
If your car is broken into:
  • File a report by calling the non-emergency number at 206-625-5011, or file one online at: www.seattle.gov/police/report/default.htm
  • When filing a report on-line or over the phone you do not need to remain at the scene.  If you choose to call the non-emergency line, simply ask to report a crime and, if it meets the criteria, the call-taker will forward you to an officer who will take your report over the phone.  The officer will still provide you with a case number.
  • If the crime is still in progress or it is an emergency situation, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Go here for more information.

No comments: