Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Car Prowler Caught Inside Owner's Unlocked Car On NE 43rd Street

The Laurelhurst Blog received this information.

I live on NE 43rd Street on the east side of Laurelhurst park. At 3:45 this morning I heard the sound of a car door opening. I got up and looked outside.  
There was a man in my daughters car with the light on rummaging thru the car. I could see him opening the glove box. I yelled at him to get out of the car. He got out . I told him I had called the police. He did not appear to be alarmed. He said something to me and proceeded to walk rather slowly up the street towards Laurelhurst park.

This man was wearing dark clothing and what appeared to be a sweatshirt and blue jeans. The top was oversized. I could not make out his shoe brand but they appeared to be white trainers with a black stripe. He did not make any attempt to conceal his identity.  He was about 25 years of age.  Based on where he stood in relevance to the car he exited I would say his height approximately 5'9. He was a very dark African American male with a full, moderately styled afro.

I called 911 and gave them a description. Ten minutes after I called the newspaper delivery person drove up the street and said he had also seen the same individual poking around in cars and had called and reported it to the police. 
 
I did not see the Laurelhurst neighborhood private security patrol.

An hour later the police arrived and took a report and dusted for prints. If anyone had missing items I have a case number to add to the report. 
The car was not locked. The police did say they thought it was sometimes better to have it not locked because then you would not have your windows broken.  
Our cars have been broken into probably 6-8 times since we have lived here. Each time the door was unlocked and items were stolen. I now try my best to take anything of value out of the car in case I forget to lock the doors.  
I didn't think with the noise from a window breaking someone would risk breaking a window and wake people up in a residential area. Our car window was broken when we lived somewhere more isolated.  
Car break ins happen all over the city, not just Laurelhurst. It is a problem every where. My advice: Lock your doors and remove valuables.

No comments: