Friday, August 29, 2014

Beware Of Erratic Man Seen In Laurelhurst And Nearby Neighborhoods

In the last few days there have been multiple sightings of  a male approaching people and cars and screaming obscenities, among other things in Laurelhurst, and nearby neighborhoods.

These comments are streaming into the NE Seattle Moms Yahoo Group listserv. Here are some of the comments posted: 
On Wednesday, my husband and kids had a run-in with a suspicious looking man in the neighborhood. He apparently approached them and made inappropriate comments to the them (essentially asking to spend time together on a computer looking at adult sites) and was also later seen wandering through the neighborhood. My husband called the police to make a report and was not the only person to call about this individual.

My neighbor told me she saw the person walking a few weeks ago in Laurelhurst, up the hill by St Bridget's church.  
I was very upset that the police were unable to do anything the last time we reported him as I did not feel safe with him in my neighborhood. Although this far it has only been threats, I do not want it to get to the point where he hurts someone before action is taken. Hopefully if we get more people aware he is out there and have them report if he does anything the police will be able to address the situation and get this man the help he needs.  He was seen first around 7 PM heading east on NE 70th and 48th AVE NE (across from the church).  He was seen again an hour later heading east on NE 68th and 48th, and that is when the police were called.  The police came to our house around 8:30 to confirm the details, and let us know that at least one other call had been received regarding this individual, who reported that he was seen heading south on 50th AVE NE.  
Description:  White male, 40-50 ish in age.  Average height and build.  Reddish/orange scruffy beard.  Pretty disheveled.  Wearing green / khaki shirt. Carrying black duffel bag or sleeping bag. If you see a man who matches this description, call 911 to report him. Please help to keep our neighborhood safe!  Sufficient concern exists regarding the nature of his comments, and his proximity to schools, parks & daycare facilities.  
We saw this person on the south side of Maple Leaf Park at 5pm yesterday.  He get around, my car has been wacked by his coat (or sleeping bag) and I live on 77th and 22nd. 
This sounds like the description of a man me and some of my neighbors have had some trouble with before. He made menacing gestures at my husband, followed my neighbors son home from the bus while screaming insults at him, and then proceeded to threaten her husband. A friend also said she saw a man of this description try and throw a Rock at a girl who was out running, though that was by the university village.  
My neighbor called the non emergency number and the police came out to talk to him (apparently he was sleeping at the church on 70th and 47th) but said there was nothing they could do. I'm glad the police are taking action now and I hope they catch this man because I do not feel comfortable having him wandering around my neighborhood!  
We ran into a man fitting the description exactly last night on our walk he was around 37th ave ne and ne 57th st. It seems to be the same Caucasian male around 40 years old with reddish brown hair/beard he was carrying a large black sleeping bag or duffle bag. He was yelling incoherently. We went home quick and informed police. Now that I am paying more attention I heard someone yelling outside of our house around 10pm last week around the intersection of ne 62nd st and 36th ave ne. It definitely seems like the same rant as he was yelling about politics and the government. Definitely keeping closer eye on kids right now. 
One of our neighbors had a scary encounter with a man fitting this description on Wednesday morning around 8:30-9:00 am near 35th Ave NE and NE 50th St. Thank you to all that posted. Stay safe. 
We had a run in with this same man back in May near 37th Ave NE and NE 57th street. He yelled sexually obscene things at my young children and terrified all of us.  I called 911 and later in the evening we saw a police car drive by. No one ever took any kind of statement from me.  I called again a few days later to report another sighting.  I haven't seen him since early summer.  Does anyone have a case number provided by the police that we can all use to tie all this information together?  A friend of mine encountered this man on Tuesday and called the police today.  The officer indicated that a case number was needed in order to collect information being reported.  It seems like perhaps this man is getting more bold and erratic and I'm very concerned that something serious might happen if police don't get him some help. 
My teen reported she had an incident with a man near u village at 11:30a  Thursday who matches this description. We just called the non emergency number to report it, even though it was hours ago. She said she and her friend were sitting in the car at the light between Silver Cloud and the 76 gas station waiting to turn right onto 25th (street behind u village). Her friend started to roll down his window as they were chatting, and suddenly this man stormed up to the car and started screaming profanities at the two of them and cursing them and saying "don't look at me!" He slammed his black sleeping bag against her window and then stomped off. They were dumbfounded as it was completely unprovoked and he came our of no where (they were about the 3rd car in line for the light). Unfortunately they didn't report it then, but we reported it now (5:15p). I read her the descriptions listed here and she said, yes, same person and carrying the black sleeping bag. So call immediately if you have an incident with this person. Scary guy. 
Another incident was reported Wednesday night near Bryant Elementary. A neighbor came by around 6:30 pm warning our family and other houses on 33rd between 55th and 60th ave ne. She had the same description and her daughter had been approached. The incident was also reported to the police.  
Yesterday the 28th he was walking down 37th Ave towards the Burke. An older neighbor walking her dog who is not on this blog was uncomfortable with the way he was watching a little boy playing outside of his home so much so that she went and spoke to the mother. She stopped by my house where I was gardening to let me know he is the neighborhood and I passed on what I had learned from all those that have posted. He clearly is mentally ill and needs help but it is worrisome that he has also shown a violent side (throwing rocks at a jogger).  Please do keep an eye out.  
I was very upset that the police were unable to do anything the last time we reported him as I did not feel safe with him in my neighborhood. Although this far it has only been threats, I do not want it to get to the point where he hurts someone before action is taken. Hopefully if we get more people aware he is out there and have them report if he does anything the police will be able to address the situation and get this man the help he needs.  
My husband and kids had a run-in with a suspicious looking man in the neighborhood. He apparently approached them and made inappropriate comments to the them (essentially asking to spend time together on a computer looking at adult sites) and was also later seen wandering through the neighborhood. My husband called the police to make a report and was not the only person to call about this individual. He was seen first around 7 PM heading east on NE 70th and 48th AVE NE (across from the church). He was seen again an hour later heading east on NE 68th and 48th, and that is when the police were called. The police came to our house around 8:30 to confirm the details, and let us know that at least one other call had been received regarding this individual, who reported that he was seen heading south on 50th AVE NE.  Sounds like the description of a man me and some of my neighbors have had some trouble with before. He made menacing gestures at my husband, followed my neighbors son home from the bus while screaming insults at him, and then proceeded to threaten her husband. A friend also said she saw a man of this description try and throw a Rock at a girl who was out running, though that was by the university village.  
My neighbor called the non emergency number and the police came out to talk to him (apparently he was sleeping at the church on 70th and 47th) but said there was nothing they could do. I'm glad the police are taking action now and I hope they catch this man because I do not feel comfortable having him wandering around my neighborhood! another: I was harassed today, twice, while on a walk in my neighborhood. Here is a description of the person: White, Male, approximately 5 feet 10 inches, medium build with a belly, short reddish blonde hair, with beard of same color. He was dressed in brown/tan and carrying a brown jacket. I did report this to the police. He did not come near me, although we did cross paths and I felt threatened. He did not follow me. The first instance occurred at 4:48 pm at the corner of 36th Ave NE and NE 60th. The second instance occurred at 4:56 pm at the corner of 40th Ave NE and NE 58th. The police did not have any available officers to patrol the area at the time and asked me to call them if I see him again.

No comments: